FAQs

Saturday, June 23, 2007

A Davidson Summer Continues: Loralea Visits

I've been calling this my "Davidson Summer" because within six weeks time, three friends from Davidson planned visits--Marla, Loralea, and Carrie.

Loralea arrived in pregnant glory from South Carolina for a visit June 8-10. I wanted to invite her for a visit to celebrate both the upcoming arrival of her baby as well as her graduation with a Masters Degree in School Counseling--a hard earned degree that she did while still teaching high school math. I know she is enjoying the summer break with NO classes, NO teaching and time to spend with her husband and dog while getting ready for baby.

At Davidson we were freshman and sophomore roommates. Davidson uses the Myers-Briggs test, the four essays you write for college admission, plus an additional survey about yourself to pair you with your freshman roommate. They also work to create a cohesive hall unit. It's pretty amazing what goes into choosing roommates, who often become lifelong friends as Loralea and I did.

It was really great to see Loralea and to have one more all girl's weekend before she has her baby (sex unknown and will be a surprise, which makes it so much fun!). We got in a LOT of talk time, just as I did when Marla was here. Poor Loralea is more of a morning person though, and I'm more of a night person, so I think I kept her up a bit late! I was able to get in several hours on each day she was here to spend time with her. I think I made it past 11 pm! This is something that has not happened since before my gallbladder surgery. Have you noticed that everything hinges on before and after that horrible date in January of 2005???? Yikes!

We, of course, ate good food, hung out, TALKED, and got in our share of hugs. We were definitely known at Davidson for our loving friendship. Marla commented before Loralea's arrival that we'd probably spend the whole weekend stuck in a hug! We didn't, but did catch up on hugs!


During my nap times/sleep times Loralea got in some relaxing time for walks, painting her toenails, lounging on the porch to read a magazine (the weather was perfect), watching a bit of TV, and taking some naps herself! The pace of life here always seems so slow to everyone else and they get lots of down time. For me, when I have visitors, I'm in high gear!

Having friends and family take time out of their busy lives to spend the time and money to travel here is a HUGE blessing that does not go unappreciated. I cannot imagine doing this journey without my friends standing by my side--and coming to visit.

Phone and email can never replace having a friend's presence in our home. Just being together and getting to hug and talk in person is such a special experience. With Loralea's busy schedule I am not sure when we will get to see each other again...so I am incredibly grateful that she came this summer! Maybe someday I'll be well enough to travel to the great state of South Carolina and meet her little one.



Thanks Loralea for a great all girls weekend filled with long talks and the comfort of being with a friend who knows me and loves me for me! (Still loves me after some of those crazy roommate things that happen when we are 18!)

Blessings,

Emily

Photos: Loralea and me outside, Lorlaea lounging on the porch reading a magazine, Loralea posing for a six-month prego 'belly shot', Loralea and me in our kitchen.

1 comment:

Melanie said...

It's so fun to meet all your friends through your blogs! I'm so glad you had a fun couple of days!

I found myslef wishing I could visit Emilys B&B as I reading this! :-)

~Melanie