FAQs

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Mom had Heart Attack: Prayers and Good Thoughts Needed

I am not sure of any other way to distribute this news to friends and family, quickly and easily, since blogger sends out my posts at 7 AM.

Mom had a heart attack early this morning around  4 or 5 AM.

She called the ambulance herself and went to the hospital. I called Jeannine, who is there with her and calling me constantly with updates.

At this point we know that her heart stopped in the ambulance. She was stabilized, put on IVs, and the Heart Alert Team was immediately called in. I spoke to her before she went into the catheterization lab and she was awake and coherent.

She was having a heart attack at the time the Heart Alert Team arrived, and was taken back to the cath lab immediately to locate the blockage. My understanding at this point is that she has two blockages, but neither was a complete blockage, meaning that she continued to receive blood to her brain throughout the procedure.

At this time, one stent was placed.

Jeannine just spoke with the doctor, and Mom is resting comfortably. She will be in ICU and monitored closely. Tests will be run to assess the damage to her heart. They will decide whether or not another stent needs to be placed later.

I will use my blog as a place to keep you updated throughout the next couple of days, so please check www.adancinglight.blogspot.org if you are looking for new or up to date information. I will post as it comes available to me and as I am able.

In many ways we were very very fortunate that Mom called the ambulance when she did and the Heart Alert Team arrived within 15 minutes.

We are blessed to have Jeannine (who is a pro at this sort of thing) go to the ER at 4 am to be with my mom. At this point, I do not know if I will physically be able to visit Mom or not, which is absolutely awful.

Please pray for my mom and send healing thoughts that she will be safe and heal well.

Blessings,
Emily

6 comments:

Katherine said...

Emily--I am thinking of your mom--and you. So sorry. So glad she got good help right away. I am glad your friend can be with her.
Love you!

Anonymous said...

Emily....Shelley and I will be praying for you and your mother. I know how stressful this can be, something similar has happened to my mother twice. And now she's healthier than ever. I have no doubt your Mom's strength and spirit will help her to come home soon!
-Sean

Rachel Lundy said...

Oh, Emily, I am so sorry. Your mom will be in my prayers, and I will be praying for you too. It must be so hard to be stuck at home while your mom is in the hospital.
Lots of love and hugs,
Rachel

Joy B. said...

Emily..so sorry about your mom, but glad that things seem positive.. Tell us what we can do to be of help to you while your mom is in the hospital (or anytime!). I'm not very far away and I'm home most days (at least this term). Blessings to you!

alia g said...

I am so sorry to hear this! I hope that the experience you have already had dealing with doctors and the medical establishment will help both of you handle this new issue informed and confident. /end Pollyanna Impression... omg that sucks, Emily. Yuck horror fear no ouch scary sad. fear fear fear. hope. fear. *hug* i am glad that she is not alone in the hospital, and i am glad that you have community, too, even if it communicates electronically and at long distance. in sentence fragments. *hug*

Anonymous said...

thinking of you and your mom emily. hoping the two of you are doing a little better today
corina