FAQs

Saturday, March 31, 2012

A Little More Wynton...

Me and Mom


Because it is such a rare event for mom and me to be dressed up (especially at the same time), I wanted to share a few photos we took outside before the concert. Yes, it was March and I was wearing a sleeveless shirt! What a crazy Spring we are having!




Me and Barbara

Before I got sick I never went without make-up, doing something with my hair, and generally kept myself always looking 'put together'. I have always loved getting dressed up--especially wearing skirts and dresses. It's difficult to explain how much I miss being able to put on make-up, do my hair, and wear cute dresses and skirts on a daily basis. 

I do my best each day to get dressed in a coordinating outfit (even if it's PJs!), put on a dabble of blush, and spritz my hair with a little water and product. Just doing this each day is a huge use of energy, yet I continue to choose to do it. Some days, like today, I was just too tired and weak to do any of those things.

Clothes, fashion, make-up and jewelry are emotional and an expression of ourselves. The limits placed on my ability to dress in skirts (because I can't sit in a skirt and cross my legs Indian style) or sit up long enough to put on make-up seem like little things in the grand scheme of things. But I miss feeling the feeling of choice, I miss shopping for and picking out my own clothes, I hate that trying on clothes exhausts me, and I miss feeling pretty. 




Barbara and Mom: It is SO difficult to get a photo of these two both smiling, eyes open and not talking at the same time!

As I was talking to my best friend a bit about the concert last week, she said that, while she she felt so happy that I had a good experience she also felt sad. I asked her why she felt sad. She said when I told her what it took to rest before the concert, set out my clothes and make-up the day before, pace myself throughout the day in order to get dressed and put on make-up and still make it to the concert, and then the crash I had afterwards, it made her sad--sad that I couldn't just go to a concert without so much effort and planning. 



The Three of Us!
Before the concert I had an okay-ish day when my step-sister was working at AT Loft. I had never been there before, but I am now in love. :) The store is small, the selection is very 'Emily', the dressing room in HUGE with a big bench to sit on, and the service is amazing. My step-sister asked me exactly what I was looking for, where I carried my weight (so she could choose a style of pants for me), and what colors I liked. Within 35 minutes I had found pants that fit and three tops! I only had to try on three pairs of pants (which is the most difficult thing for me to do physically). 

Typically my Mom either goes shopping for me, I order a bunch of stuff online and exhaust myself trying on new clothes, or I try to go to a department store like Penny's with Mom and pick stuff out with her. Mom does a great job shopping for me, but it's just one more thing for her to do. A lot of times, I'm just wearing clothes that fit, not ones I particularly like.

Going to Loft, having my step-sister work so hard to find clothes to fit me, and coming home with clothes that made me feel pretty and FIT (after some weight gain), really lifted my spirits. I was SO excited to wear my new clothes and jewelry for this concert.




Me and Mom

So, I wanted to share the photos of our very special night out. Because it took a lot of help from so many people to get me there. I so love these photos of the three of us, I loved wearing my new clothes, and I loved the concert. 

Blessings,

Emily

1 comment:

Alia Gee said...

I have to say, I feel the same way about pants. They are the hardest thing to try on and the hardest thing to find that fit properly.

Pants suck. ;)

Not fashionable, but incredibly comfortable and lightweight for summer: http://www.devalifewear.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=IS0033&Product_Code=GUSSE&Category_Code=Pants

I did martial arts and dance in these in college; now I wear them with a loose tunic and I look vaguely put together in an earth mother hippie kind of way. The gusset in the crotch means they are remarkably flexible.

I hope you get many more chances to dress up and you have the energy to seize them.