FAQs

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Uncle Crazy Turns 80!

Full of Hot Air

As I mentioned briefly in an earlier post, Mom and I traveled to Chicago at the end of January to celebrate Uncle Crazy's 80th birthday. 

Uncle Needs a Drink to get through the Toasts

Sandie (Stan's "No. 1") and the rest of Uncle's family put together an incredibly meaningful celebration for Uncle. Amazing food. A small intimate group of Stan's closest friends and family. A jazz trio. Stan's beautiful home. The party was perfection and fit Uncle perfectly. And since it was at his home, I could claim the sofa! :)

I Love When Uncle Wears Pink!


One of my greatest regrets is that I did not travel to Chicago during my college years for Uncle's 65th birthday celebration because I was 'too busy studying'. Despite the difficulty of the travel, especially in the midst of feeling so poorly, I was absolutely determined to go to Stan's 80th celebration. Over the years Uncle and I have grown closer through our Sunday afternoon check-ins. Before this trip, I had not been to Chicago for over 20 years.


Our Little Family: Stephen, Beth, Joshua, Stan, Dana 

I finally met my cousin Stephen's amazing wife, Beth. And saw Stephen for the first time in a decade.

Joshua and Stephen


I met Joshua, Stephen's son, who is already headed to college this fall!


Me and Day

And got to see Cousin Dana (Day) again.


Siblings

I think Uncle is trying to tickle Mom just like he did to torture his little sister when they were growing up. 

Mom and me.

Mom and I were so very happy to be there with Uncle and family. Also, it looks like pink was the color of the day.

Jazz, Jazz, Jazz.

Part of Uncle's legacy is the the music he has shared with me and the jazz he has introduced me to. His home provided the perfect acoustics for the lovely jazz trio.


Stan and his No. 1

Many people asked me if I had fun on the trip. What I will say is this: the travel was brutal. I rested or struggled every moment of the trip. We went to see Uncle and our family. That was what mattered. And we did it. I paid a major price physically to go, but I also did something that was important to myself and those I love and for that I have no regrets. My body rallied for the party, and that was what I wanted most. 




Dancing

Seeing Uncle so happy was what made every moment of the trip worth it. He makes 80 look fantastic. 


Uncle Crazy: I wish you many more years of enjoying the things you love most--beautiful music, good food, travel and winters in Arizona, going to Cubs games, watching movies, enjoying art and museums and concerts and lots of time with Sandie, your family and your friends.

Blessings,
Emily


No comments: