FAQs

Thursday, August 29, 2013

Mizuki and Misaki: A Most Amazing Surprise




Joji, Me, Mizuki, Riki, Misaki, Gershwin, Emiko

In 2001 (long before my days of blogging), I reached a level of health that allowed Jeannine and I to live in an apartment about a mile from my house. (I had LOTS of help.) During that special year, we lived next door to a Japanese family with two young girls, Mizuki and Misaki, who were in the States while their dad worked at a Japanese company in town.

Since I was home all day, I saw the girls A LOT. We sat on the front stoop of the townhouse talking, we pet and groomed my Wheaten Terrier named Winnie, we went for little walks, we played with sidewalk chalk, we gathered stuffed animals on the sofa and snuggled together to watch the movie Flubber. Every day after school, I'd watch for Misaki's little head peeking in my living room window to see if I could come outside for a visit. 

When it was time for the family to move back to Japan, we were all heartbroken. Misaki, who knew little other than living in America, told her mother that she was going to stay and live with Emily. I told Misaki that my cooking wasn't as good as her mom's, but she said she didn't care.

At the time of our friendship in the United States, the girls were seven and nine.


Teaching me about the gift they brought--a gorgeous handmade paper tray.


Lots of JOY being together


Riki, age 9, who wasn't even born yet when I knew them! Emiko and Joji.


On Sunday afternoon, we received a most joyous and amazing surprise! When the doorbell rang, Mom opened the door to find a Japanese family standing there. Mizuki stepped in front to say: I'm Mizuki and we used to live next door to Emily! Mom hurried to wake me up from my nap.


What a surprise! We had no idea they were coming back for a visit. We have kept in touch some over the years via snail mail, but I have missed these girls deeply. I have always dreamed that we would see each other again.


Mizuki is now 21. Misaki is 19.

When we were in the townhouse, we spent a lot of time with my dog Winnie, who the girls loved. It turns out that now, Misaki is training to be a groomer! I wonder if she was influenced by my sweet Winnie? The girls loved meeting Gershwin and Tovah Rose.




Emiko and Joji

Riki and Emiko


We only had about thirty minutes to visit, but we made sure to give each other lots of hugs and take lots of pictures. Most of the pictures are on Joji's camera, so if I get those, I will post some of them. I had almost worn pajamas on Sunday, since I was resting all day--thankfully I wasn't in PJs when they arrived, but I was close to being in something similar. Oops!


Misaki,, me, Mizuki

Mizuki will be staying in town for a month and we are planning to get together for lunch, dinner or tea. She says she would like me to feed her some American food. What shall we feed her? :) 

Oh, how I love these girls! Oh, how I have missed them so! Oh, what a wonderful surprise to hug them again and see the whole family again.

Blessings,

Emily


1 comment:

Rachel Lundy said...

What a wonderful surprise visit! I'm so glad you were able to spend time with these friends.