FAQs

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Dysautonomia Awareness Month



October is Dysautonomia Awareness Month. As I think about my years blogging, I'm not sure if or when I've ever really defined my illnesses in simple terms or shared valuable resources.

First, I'd like to just start with a very helpful definition of Dysautonomia from the DINET website, because I think it's such a difficult disorder to understand. Dysautonomia is a term synonymous with Autonomic Nervous System Dysfunction. 

Dysautonomia literally means dysregulation of the autonomic nervous system. The autonomic nervous system is the master regulator of organ function throughout the body. It is involved in the control of heart rate, blood pressure, temperature, respiration, digestion and other vital functions. Dysregulation of the autonomic nervous system can produce the apparent malfunction of the organs it regulates. For this reason, dysautonomia patients often present with numerous, seemingly unrelated maladies.



Blessings,

Emily

No comments: