FAQs

Sunday, December 29, 2013

Going to Arts Festival!

Our Arts Festival


Each year, I eagerly anticipate one particular week in the summer when lots of townies come back for our arts festival. It's an event that is part of the fabric of my life and one I've attended since I was a little girl. Growing up, I enjoyed selling my own crafts during children's day, attending the performances and visiting the art booths. Many of my very favorite pieces of jewelry and art are from this festival, as well as many fond memories of time with my mom and time with my friends.


Kate and Me

Early on, after I first got sick, we did try to go for a short while to the festival, but it was so difficult that I have not tried again until this year.

I typically use all of my energy to visit with friends who are in town, but miss out on the joy of the festival itself, which is something that I've missed deeply and makes me very sad.

This year, the combination of my new level of functioning, the Rolls, and a perfectly cool cloudy day on the least busy day of the festival (Thursday), Mom and I were able to take in a about half of the booths. 

I was sitting upright in my Rolls, looking at art for FOUR HOURS! I honestly don't know how I pulled it off, but I was able to completely enjoy the experience without struggling through it. 


Kate, Tovah and Gershwin


I purchased two pieces of artwork for my bedroom (one of dragonflies and one of moths, of course), one piece for my new bathroom, and a fun pair of earrings, and a small ring. Mom also surprised me with a pair of earrings because she didn't think I would be well enough to go. I was also able to get a baby gift for one of my best friends who no longer lives in the area. I went a little crazy!

Engaging with the artists, running into people we knew, seeing so much creativity, being a part of an event that I have so deeply missed made me feel so alive. Being able to choose artwork for myself felt incredible. I now have new pieces of jewelry and art that reflect the 'me' now.


Kira, Zoey and Tovah


That same week, I also saw Kate for a girls only visit with just the two of us, which is something we haven't done in a very long time and is always something I look forward to because Kate is such an authentic, tell-it-like-it-is person. She's good for me. :)

I also saw Jess and her two girls, Kira and Zoey. I met Zoey when she was a toddler and hadn't met Kira yet! As you can tell, the girls were crazy for the dogs. 


Tovah and Zoey


After my four hours at the festival, it took me two days of time in bed to begin to recover, which is a pretty big price. Since going to the festival was unimaginable even a year ago, I'll take those precious four hours surrounded by art and creativity, time with Mom, and wonderful memories hanging on my walls.

Blessings,

Emily


No comments: