FAQs

Thursday, March 05, 2015

Mini-Reunion with a Davidson Friend!


Amanda and Me

The past week has been a busy one for us. After two trips to visit folks, we'll be staying put for the rest of our time down here.
Last weekend we traveled on Friday to visit one of my college friends, Amanda, who lives still lives in NC. We stayed overnight at her house and headed back to Sunset Beach on Saturday afternoon. It was a whirlwind and exhausting trip, but absolutely 100% worth it to see Amanda and meet her family.

Me, Bethany, Amanda and Samuel


I have known Amanda since Freshman year when we were in the same eating house. We lived on the same hall sophomore year. We haven't seen each other since graduation 17 years ago. We have kept in  touch through letters and phone calls, since Amanda is not on FB and does not email. 

We have always made sure to connect once a year on our birthdays, which fall just a day apart.



Yogurt Mustached Bethany

Amanda has been one of many Davidson folks who have shown me why Davidson is so special to me--the people I met there are loyal, loving, kind, generous and thoughtful. And smart. 



Sweet Samuel


Over the years, Amanda has served as a strong spiritual support for me--an open-minded, non-judgmental, willing to question woman. She earned both a Masters of Divinity and Masters of Counseling from Princeton, and she's been a wonderful spiritual guide to me, along with being a wonderful friend.



Samuel and J.D.


It was great to finally meet her husband, J.D.,  their children, Bethany and Samuel, and their dog, Nikki. And don't forget Boo Bear! 


Me, Bethany and Boo Bear!



It's hard to believe that we could make a three hour drive to visit someone, hang out in the afternoon, have me take a nap, get back up and have dinner, stay up talking with Amanda until after midnight, get up the next day and eat lunch with the family and hang out before we left around 2:30 for the three hour trip home.

We enjoyed just having a really low-key visit hanging out with Amanda and her family. On Friday, we got take-out from their favorite Thai restaurant so that Amanda would not have to be cooking with a new baby to take care of, had lots of chocolate for dessert, talked a lot. On Saturday, we had a lunch of Mom's baked oatmeal and Amanda's quiche. (Amanda--your quiche is perfection and we need the recipe! :))



J.D. and Samuel


When I was exhausted on Sunday, I had to remind myself that I still made it out of bed, ate lunch, got dressed, and spent the afternoon doing some hand-sewing. 


Their Sweet House


Other than taking medical trips and the couple of times Mom and I have traveled together, this was the first time we had stayed overnight at someone's home and I was able to manage it! 


Nikki


On Saturday, while I visited with Amanda and family, Mom went to see a former colleague of hers who now lives in NC. Athleen is 94 years old and still sharp as a tack!




I would have enjoyed seeing Athleen as well, but am so thankful Mom was able to make the trip to see her and have a meaningful visit with her. Athleen is a pioneer--a woman who got her Ph.D. when very few women were!











As you can see, it took a few tries to get a picture of me with Amanda and her kids! :) 

I am incredibly grateful to Amanda for welcoming us into her home. We picked up talking with one another as if we had not skipped a day in each other's lives. Being together in person with those we have only been able to keep in touch with is such a blessing--and such an affirmation of why we work so hard to maintain these long-distance relationships. I left Amanda's more affirmed in our relationship and more determined to maintain my friendship with such a joyful spirit.

Blessings,

Emily





No comments: